Every cell in your body has a collection of little energy factories called Mitochondria which turn the food you eat into energy. If you are often tired, can’t exercise because of fatigue, or can’t lose weight due to a slow metabolism, your mitochondria may be the problem. Ever watched a 5 year old playing? They RUN everywhere! Ever watched an 85 year old get around? Not too much running happening there. One of the big differences is in number & quality of their mitochondria - in a child they are numerous and undamaged, as we age numbers fall due to inactivity, and damage from toxicity, inflammation & oxidation accumulates. Your gut microbiome can also be a problem if unhealthy inflammatory bugs like candida outnumber the good bugs. The bad bugs release inflammatory toxins called lipopolysaccharides which damage your mitochondria. So what steps can be taken to help increase metabolic rate, improve energy and lose weight?
- Eat healthy fats like avocado, nuts, seeds, & wild caught cold water fish like salmon. These are your mitochondria’s perfect fuel along with coconut oil which contains the medium chain triglycerides they love.
- Reduce high-carbs & eliminate the foods you react to that put tremendous stress on your mitochondria & immune system by causing inflammation.
- Move more! Research shows high intensity interval training (where you go fast for 30 seconds, slow down for minute, and repeat) coupled with strength training is an excellent way to make new, more efficient mitochondria. Naturally this must be done under a qualified personal trainer so it’s appropriate to your age and fitness levels.
- Take energy-boosting supplements like Co Q10, Alpha-lipoic acid, Magnesium, and Omega-3 fats to support your mitochondria. (Those on blood thinners can’t do this)
- Improve your microbiome through detoxification, clearing candida and parasites, and replacing the good flora.
If these are steps you would like to undertake to reach your health goals call Sunshine Coast Nutritionist & Kinesiologist Karen Emans on 0408 748 532